Thank you! We are all one step closer!
This week we submitted 360 letters and postcards of support from all of you – neighbors, elected officials, community groups, and businesses for SDOT’s grant application to the Washington State Transportation Improvement Board for a “Compact Roundabout” at intersection of Highland Park Way and SW Holden St. in West Seattle.
In addition to HPAC’s letter, here is a partial list of letters of support that were received:
- Westwood Roxhill Arbor Heights Community Coalition (WWRHAH)
- South Delridge Community Group
- West Seattle Transportation Coalition
- Highland Park Improvement Club (HPIC)
- DNDA (Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association)
- North Highline Unincorporated Area Council NHUAC
- Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Representative (WA 7th District)
- Seattle City Council
- Lisa Herbold, Seattle City Councilmember, District 1
- Joe McDermott , Chair, King County Council, District 8
- State Representative Eileen Cody, Washington’s 34th Legislative District
- State Representative Joe Fitzgibbon Washington’s 34th Legislative District
- Dutchboy Coffee
- Making Waves Coaching & Consulting
More great news – $500,000 has been identified to advance this project, so far.
From an excerpt from Seattle City Council’s letter outlining steps taken so far:
“Since 2013, residents of the Highland Park neighborhood have lobbied the city to enhance this intersection. Their efforts led to the development of a conceptual design which has been vetted by local engineers and roundabout experts at the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). In 2017, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) allocated more than $200,000 in local funds to advance the design of the project. SDOT has identified an additional $300,000 in local funds to support construction as well.”
SDOT will not hear back until mid-fall on the status of the application, but with the community’s showing of support, the funds already identified, we believe this grant application is quite strong.
To learn more or be a part of other safe streets projects in Highland Park – join us at our Sept. 27, 2017 meeting. All HPAC meetings are held at the Highland Park Improvement Club, 1116 SW Holden, Seattle, WA 98106 on the 4th Wednesday of the month (from Jan – June & Sept – October) Doors open at 6:30 – Meeting from 7:00 – 8:30 pm.