From City of Seattle:
Last month the city announced a plan to establish three additional sanctioned encampments to serve homeless people. That plan calls for sanctioning the current encampment at Myers Way (known as Camp 2nd Chance) and expanding it from 20 tents up to 50 tents. Sanctioned encampments are a temporary measure to provide people living without shelter a safer alternative place to live while caseworkers help them secure long-term stable housing. I have included the fact sheet and FAQs we distributed previously.
The City hosted a public meeting on December 8th to describe the plan and to listen to community concerns. The City is hosting a second public meeting on Wednesday, February 1st to provide further information and to address concerns that have been raised. We encourage you to attend.
2nd Community Conversation re Myers Way Homeless Encampment
Wednesday, February 1st
7:00 – 8:30 PM
Joint Training Facility, 9401 Myers Way South
NOTE: Due to safety concerns, the Training Facility does not allow children on the grounds.
Director of Homelessness
City of Seattle | Office of the Mayor
Reminder: Next HPAC meeting is 2/22/2017
- HPAC Executive/Steering Committee Election is February 22nd – nominations can be taken at the February meeting – each position is for a one year term.
- To nominate yourself and/or another HPAC member – please provide either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at Jan or Feb meeting: Name, position sought, email, phone, address, and up to a 75 word response to the following:
What lived/professional skills, experiences, resources would you bring to the position sought? What do you like about the Highland Park community? What could be one improved in Highland Park? How much time a month can you commit to meetings and serving the mission of HPAC?
- Positions Up for Election Include:
- Chairperson(s) – The duties include preside at all HPAC meetings and Executive Committee meetings, prepare agendas, report on the actions of the Executive Committee, maintain momentum of programs initiated by the HPAC .
- Assistant/Vice Chairperson(s) – The duties include to serve in the absence of the Chairperson, to develop and encourage broader membership participation, and to plan and organize special projects and functions. Serve as liaison to Delridge District Council/Southwest District Council and other Councils as needed.
- Secretary – The duties include notify the membership of the next meeting date, time, take the minutes of the HPAC meetings, with a summary of actions taken and assignments made ready to be presented at each subsequent meeting.
- Treasurer – The duties include receive and disburse funds as instructed by the Executive Committee and the HPAC, works with our fiscal sponsor in record keeping, and reports on the financial position of the HPAC at each meeting.
- Sub-Committee Chairperson(s): Developed as needed – 2017 potential subcommittees
- Community Needs Survey
- Outreach & Engagement
- By-Laws Review